Coordinate with the Branch Manager in implementing and carrying out bank policy and procedures with respect to overall operations of the bank. Under general supervision, but in line with established policies and procedures, provides a variety of service functions, including processing savings account, checking account, loan transactions, cashing checks, cash bonds, cashier’s checks and gift cards. Responsible for processing mail, maintaining account records, cross-selling services, balancing each day's transactions, and verifying cash totals. Temporary position that lasts from May until August.
This job description describes the scope of responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other areas to cover absences, or equalize peak work periods, or otherwise balance the workload. This job description does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, as Eastern Michigan Bank is an "at-will" employer.
All positions at Eastern Michigan Bank require a high level of commitment to exceptional customer service and customer relationship development for internal and external customers. In addition, employees must possess the level of product knowledge necessary to effectively promote the Bank’s products and services by identifying cross selling opportunities, educating customers regarding the benefits of the Bank’s products and services, and effectively promoting them.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Represent the bank to the customer both in conduct and attire in a courteous, professional manner, and provide prompt, efficient, and accurate service in processing transactions and assisting customers with account balance information.
- Balance cash drawer daily; verify and wrap currency; follow teller performance guidelines when processing cash differences.
- Receive checks and cash for deposit to savings and checking accounts, verify deposit amounts, examine checks for endorsement and negotiability, place holds on checks as needed and enter transactions into bank records.
- Cash checks and pay money from savings and checking accounts upon verification of signatures and customer account balances, process transactions on Vertex.
- Inspect all checks, bonds, money orders, savings withdrawals and so forth to determine their negotiability.
- Cross-sell bank services, explaining such matters as the various types of accounts and certificates, interest, and compounding rates.
- Recommend the use of safe deposit boxes and other services when appropriate.
- Receive payments for loans, ensuring that payments equal the amount due and that all applicable late charges are collected. Call commercial loan department with credit line transfer information.
- Teller capture - Scan proof, respond to emails, and complete end-of-day processing.
- Answer telephone and assist customers and employees in a professional, prompt, and courteous manner.
- Comply with all bank policies, regulations and laws applicable to carrying out Teller duties and responsibilities.
Perform Related Duties
- Post all transactions using Vertex software.
- Know how to use Store Forward.
- Sell money orders, cashier checks, and MasterCard gift cards from Finet; prepare certified checks.
- Make credit card cash advances; service safe deposit boxes as applicable; post rental payments; close accounts upon request.
- Redeem savings bonds.
- Take stop payments and telephone transfers; encode documents for processing (where applicable).
- Assist in opening night depository bags using dual-control procedures.
- Assist with teller training (experienced tellers only).
- May be assigned to work in other branch locations.
- May be assigned clerical work in the Administration Office in Croswell.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Desired Education, Training and/or Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Currently attending college or university, enrolled in business oriented curriculum, such as finance, accounting or business.
Technical Skills Needed
- Knowledge and experience with operating a computer, calculator, and other general office equipment.
- Excellent social and communication skills:
- Use professional and clear verbal communication skills.
- High quality writing skills, using accurate word usage, grammar, spelling, and punctuation in all written correspondence.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide, using whole numbers, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Use professional phone etiquette, including tone and volume of voice.
Mental Effort Needed
- Ability to multi-task, work in a fast paced, changing environment and maintain a commitment to accuracy and timeliness.
- Ability to follow policies, procedures and written instructions, as well as verbal instructions or directions from his/her supervisor.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to get along well with coworkers and to work as part of Eastern Michigan Bank’s team, working towards the Bank’s goals set forth by its’ Board of Directors.
Physical Effort Needed
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular, timely attendance during assigned work hours.
- Normal physical strength to handle routine office materials and tools.
- Normal dexterity of hands and fingers.
- Occasional lifting and transporting up to 25 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Working with office equipment, electrical plugs, etc.