Coordinate with the Commercial Loan Manager in implementing and carrying out bank policy and procedures with respect to overall operations of the bank. Develops, manages and evaluates commercial loan accounts that are within established lending policy guidelines while providing profitability to the bank at minimum risk.
This job description describes the scope of responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other areas to cover absences, or equalize peak work periods, or otherwise balance the workload. This job description does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, as Eastern Michigan Bank is an "at-will" employer.
All positions at Eastern Michigan Bank require a high level of commitment to exceptional customer service and customer relationship development for internal and external customers. In addition, employees must possess the level of product knowledge necessary to effectively promote the Bank’s products and services by identifying cross selling opportunities, educating customers regarding the benefits of the Bank’s products and services, and effectively promoting them.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Interview loan applicants and analyze financial data in order to determine the creditworthiness of prospective borrowers.
- Establish and negotiate terms under which credit will be extended, including rates, loan structure, and collateral requirements based on borrower’s financial status.
- Approve loans up to individual lending authority and serve as contact officer on loans above this limit.
- Collect and analyze information which reflects the financial condition of existing loans through direct inspection, review of interim financial reports, personal interview, and various other methods.
- Combine agricultural and business knowledge with an understanding of each customer’s current financial situation to offer workable alternatives to mitigate problems.
- Monitor loan repayment activities and take necessary action to collect on past-due accounts.
- Develop new business by contacting prospective customers and cross-selling bank services.
- Serve as a voting member of Officer Credit Committee which makes evaluations of loan requests up to its lending authority.
- Also make loan presentations to the committee when required.
- Assist collector with collection duties and responsibilities.
- Maintain a working knowledge of FSA programs and services.
- Maintain a working relationship with local FSA offices.
- Participate in various community affairs to increase the bank's visibility and to create new business opportunities.
- Undertake special projects relating to departmental services as assigned by the Commercial Loan Manager.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Desired Education, Training, and/or Experience
- A technical level of knowledge normally acquired through completion of an undergrad program in business administration, finance, or related area; or four to six years of progressively increasing responsible commercial lending experience.
- A general understanding of agricultural lending is valuable and desired.
- Knowledge and/or experience of FSA, C & I and SBA loan programs is desired.
Technical Skills Needed
- Knowledge and experience with operating a computer, calculator, and other general office equipment.
- Excellent social and communication skills:
- Use professional and clear verbal communication skills.
- High quality writing skills, using accurate word usage, grammar, spelling, and punctuation in all written correspondence.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide, using whole numbers, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Use professional phone etiquette, including tone and volume of voice.
Mental Effort Needed
- Ability to multi-task, work in a fast paced, changing environment and maintain a commitment to accuracy and timeliness.
- Ability to follow policies, procedures and written instructions, as well as verbal instructions or directions from his/her supervisor.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to get along well with coworkers and to work as part of Eastern Michigan Bank’s team, working towards the Bank’s goals set forth by its’ Board of Directors.
Physical Effort Needed
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular, timely attendance during assigned work hours.
- Normal physical strength to handle routine office materials and tools.
- Normal dexterity of hands and fingers.
- Occasional lifting and transporting up to 25 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Working with office equipment, electrical plugs, etc.