Under general supervision, but in line with established policies and procedures, provides a variety of service functions, including processing savings account, checking account, loan transactions, cashing checks, cash bonds, selling money orders, cashier’s checks and MasterCard gift cards. Also responsible for processing mail, maintaining account records, cross-selling services, balancing each day's transactions, and verifying cash totals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Represent the bank to the customer both in conduct and attire in a courteous, professional manner, and provide prompt, efficient, and accurate service in processing transactions and assisting customers with account balance information.
- Balance cash drawer daily; verify and wrap currency; follow teller performance guidelines when processing cash differences.
- Receive checks and cash for deposit to savings and checking accounts, verify deposit amounts, examine checks for endorsement and negotiability, place holds on checks as needed and enter transactions into bank records.
- Cash checks and pay money from savings and checking accounts upon verification of signatures and customer account balances, process transactions on Vertex.
- Inspect all checks, bonds, money orders, savings withdrawals and so forth to determine their negotiability.
- Cross-sell bank services, explaining such matters as the various types of accounts and certificates, interest, and compounding rates.
- Recommend the use of safe deposit boxes and other services when appropriate.
- Receive payments for loans, ensuring that payments equal the amount due and that all applicable late charges are collected. Call commercial loan department with credit line transfer information.
- Teller capture - Scan proof, respond to emails, and complete end-of-day processing.
- Answer telephone and assist customers and employees in a professional, prompt, and courteous manner.
- Comply with all bank policies, regulations and laws applicable to carrying out Teller duties and responsibilities
PERFORM RELATED DUTIES
- Post all transactions using Vertex software.
- Know how to use Store Forward.
- Sell money orders, cashier checks, and MasterCard gift cards from Finet; prepare certified checks.
- Make credit card cash advances; service safe deposit boxes as applicable; post rental payments; close accounts upon request.
- Redeem savings bonds.
- Take stop payments and telephone transfers; encode documents for processing (where applicable).
- Assist in opening night depository bags using dual-control procedures.
- Assist with teller training (experienced tellers only).
- May be assigned to work in other branch locations.
Fulfill other periodic job-related duties which are assigned by management and are not already part of this job description.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or equivalent.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one situations to customers and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written and oral form. Ability to deal with problems in standardized situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Typing skills, ability to operate a 10-key calculator, PC knowledge and experience helpful, ability to operate other standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Finger dexterity for operating computer keyboard, calculator, telephone, and other equipment used by tellers. Lifting and carrying files, documents, teller drawer, coin, etc. Ability to stand for long periods when providing customer service. Hand/eye coordination for the counting and/or strapping of money. Ability to manually operate a teller drive-in drawer.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts. The employee must be able to use a step ladder to access safe deposit boxes. Also is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock working with various types of office equipment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.