Coordinate with the CFO in implementing and carrying out bank policy & procedures with respect to overall operations of the bank. The purpose of this position is to ensure the reliability of the accounting data, which serves as the source of reports for Management, Board of Directors, Stockholders, and Government regulators by enforcing the internal controls that have been put in place to protect the assets of the Bank through following daily and monthly accounting procedures.
This job description describes the scope of responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other areas to cover absences, or equalize peak work periods, or otherwise balance the workload. This job description does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, as Eastern Michigan Bank is an "at-will" employer.
All positions at Eastern Michigan Bank require a high level of commitment to exceptional customer service and customer relationship development for internal and external customers. In addition, employees must possess the level of product knowledge necessary to effectively promote the Bank’s products and services by identifying cross selling opportunities, educating customers regarding the benefits of the Bank’s products and services, and effectively promoting them.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Obtain a familiarity with all daily accounting functions whether specifically assigned to ensure competence in responding to accounting questions raised by management, other departments, outside auditors, and internal auditors.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts and applications as assigned.
- Update descriptions in general ledger for captured items.
- Monitor Canadian cash/check transactions, and maintain the exchange rate.
- Enter invoices for payment in Accounts Payable and process check runs as needed. Pay holding company and subsidiary company invoices as needed.
- Enter general ledger and cross-application entries as needed.
- Reconcile the Bank's fixed assets and work in process including maintenance of the fixed asset accounting system, preparation of Capital Expenditure report, reconciliation of related gain/loss general ledger account.
- Prepare monthly reports as assigned.
- Assist with the periodic preparation of audit work papers and responses to examiner and auditor inquiries as assigned.
- Fulfill other periodic job- related duties as assigned by management that may not already be a part of this job description.
- Comply with all bank policies, regulations, and laws applicable to carrying out duties and responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Desired Education, Training and/or Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Two years of accounting experience or an associate's degree in Accounting, preferred.
Technical Skills Needed
- Knowledge and experience with operating a computer, calculator, and other general office equipment.
- Excellent social and communication skills:
- Use professional and clear verbal communication skills.
- High quality writing skills, using accurate word usage, grammar, spelling, and punctuation in all written correspondence.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide, using whole numbers, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Use professional phone etiquette, including tone and volume of voice.
Mental Effort Needed
- Ability to multi-task, work in a fast paced, changing environment and maintain a commitment to accuracy and timeliness.
- Ability to follow policies, procedures and written instructions, as well as verbal instructions or directions from his/her supervisor.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to get along well with coworkers and to work as part of Eastern Michigan Bank’s team, working towards the Bank’s goals set forth by its’ Board of Directors.
Physical Effort Needed
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regular, timely attendance during assigned work hours.
- Normal physical strength to handle routine office materials and tools.
- Normal dexterity of hands and fingers.
- Occasional lifting and transporting up to 25 lbs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Working with office equipment, electrical plugs, etc.